Wednesday 24 February 2016

Entry #9: Truly - Fast Stories from Kid Coma



I discovered this one back in 1996.  It came to my attention when I learned it was the band  Soundgarden’s original bass player joined having left his former band.  This alone was enough to pique my interest.  And I’m so glad it did.

Obviously, in ’96 there were no online download or streaming services, so getting this album from my local record store meant submitting an order request and waiting weeks for it to arrive.

It became an album my housemate, and best friend at the time would regularly put on when we were having a smoke, and hearing it takes me back to those simpler, carefree days.  I instantly fell in love with the brooding, sinister atmosphere; sitting somewhere between grunge and psychedelia, the album combines thick, fuzzy guitars with eerie, slightly detuned mellotron keys and dark, off-kilter interludes that reminded me of someone getting drugged in an episode of Columbo.  I read somewhere that it’s supposed to be a concept album, and it does appear to follow a loose theme of the acid-fuelled flashbacks from a guy in a coma (in my head, I have an idea for a very surreal movie based on this record).

I love this album because despite being very much mired in the grunge/alt-rock territory of its time, it’s not a typical “grunge” album at all.  In fact, at times it borders on progressive (though thankfully not in a self-indulgent, showboaty kind of way), which was an anathema for such music back then.  It’s no wonder it was completely overlooked.

To me, ‘Fast Stories…’ is a very unique album and one that deserves a wider audience.  If you’re reading this, whoever you are, do yourself a favour and seek it out.  You’ll thank me later, of that I am certain.


                                                                                Truly : Hot Summer 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment