Sunday 21 February 2016

Entry #2: Suicide - Suicide



An old and extremely valued friend of mine introduced me to this album many, many years ago, just before I started making music of my own. I cannot even begin to articulate the influence it had on my early, lo-fi compositions and consider it instrumental in shaping my approach to music, especially then. It was this album that really epitomised the fact that less really can be more.

With just a reverb-soaked slightly distorted Farfisa organ and a microphone, Alan Vega and Martin Rev created music far heavier and crushing than any rock or metal band has ever been able to achieve with a million guitars. The minimal pulsing electronic rhythms invoking a constant atmosphere of uneasy menace, as do Vega's vocals, snaking between nervous crooning, yelps and truly blood curdling shrieks. It also contains what is arguably one of the scariest songs ever recorded.  I won't spoil it for you by including it below, you'll know when you hear it.


                                                                     Suicide : Che

No comments:

Post a Comment