Thursday 25 February 2016

Entry #13: Sebadoh - The Freed Weed



Back in 1996, I picked up a Sebadoh tape called "The Freed Man".  I had already gotten into lofi music earlier that same year thanks to Beck albums like 'One Foot in the Grave' and 'Stereopathetic Soulamure' which, in turn, endeared me to that particular album.

A few years later, I discovered  'The Freed Weed' which, I was pleased to learn, featured many of the same songs as 'The Freed Man' but with an extended and slightly different track listing, and it was this album that grabbed me the most.  That particular summer (1999?), I played this a lot for some reason; I think Lou Barlow, and to a lesser extent Eric Gaffney's candid, broken, messy love songs struck a chord somehow.  I had also started making my own 4-track music and found it inspiring (even if my own music was very different).  Either way, it recalls a period of burgeoning creativity, and I will always remember it for that.

Some might argue that the songs would benefit from "proper" production, but I say bullshit to that.  This is how they are meant to sound and how they should sound.  This is the point.

                                                             Sebadoh : Perfect Power

No comments:

Post a Comment