Saturday 27 February 2016

Entry #17: Sonic Youth - Evol



I'm a huge fan of Sonic Youth.  If you know me, it's very likely that you already know this.   Of all their albums, this is the one that has stayed with me the most.  When I first heard it, I was already somewhat familiar with the band (I had both 'Daydream Nation' and 'Goo' on tape back then).  Up until that point, 'Daydream' was a definite favourite, but 'Evol' changed that and after getting this album way back when, I sought out nearly every Sonic Youth album I could find.

The ringing guitars and reverb-soaked production give 'Evol' an almost dreamlike ambience which really appeals.  Sound-wise, it's a direct evolution from the previous album 'Bad Moon Rising'.  The songs are very atmospheric, sometimes even gothic in places and the whole album carries a moody, surreal tone that they've never repeated since. 

An absolute work of art, and something I will never get bored of hearing.

                                                     Sonic Youth : Shadow of a Doubt


No comments:

Post a Comment