Sunday 21 February 2016

Entry #7: Metallic Falcons - Metallic Falcons



It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly why I love this album so much.  It's certainly not for everyone; 14 sparse, lo-fi songs that invoke images of blistering sun and ghostly heat hazes, oftentimes sounding like they were recorded in the pit of a yawning desert chasm.

I discovered the album not long after getting into CocoRosie (relevant given that MF is comprised of Matteah Baim and Sierra Cassidy, the latter being one half of CocoRosie), whom I'd gotten into through someone on a music forum.  Anyway, I saw a review for Metallic Falcons in Plan B, which was the best music magazine I've ever read.  This was just before the days of so-called "web 2.0" so there was no chance of popping onto YouTube, Spotify or Soundcloud to listen to a few tracks - all I had to go on was the review itself which, along with the enigmatic cover (look at it!) was enough to pique my interest.  I was the most surprised person to see a solitary copy of this sitting in HMV in the town where I lived (almost as if it was waiting for me to come along), so I picked it up without hesitation.

I have a habit of only playing certain albums during specific times of the year or when certain weather conditions apply, and this is one that I only play in the summer, lounging around on a hot day with little to do. 

Metallic Falcons is, for me a magical album that transports me to a place I never want to leave every time I visit.  Also, for some reason, it also reminds me of the Spirit Temple in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and that's not a bad thing at all.


                                                         Metallic Falcons : Four Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment