Thursday 25 February 2016

Entry #14: ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags and Codes



Of course, pretty much everyone who likes this band likes this album the best, and for good reason.  It's fucking fantastic.

For me, it also holds enormous sentimental weight.  I bought it around the time it came out, and I was beginning a huge personal upheaval.  2002 was a year of constructive destruction, a beautiful Tarot death.  Things as I had previously understood them had changed, and at the time, I didn't know if I was even ready to change with them, but knew that it wasn't a matter of choice.

This album's energy allowed me to channel my own emotions into something that made sense.  As I fought inner battles that nobody I knew could ever perceive, this is one of the albums that helped me through it all.

The day after I bought it, I traveled by coach to visit an old friend who lived out of town.  I played this on the way and remember reading through the lyrics in the CD inlay and admiring Conrad Keeley's artwork.  At the time, it almost felt as if this album had been made just for me.  It was May and the sun was shining, 'Source Tags' was played to death all summer, and to this day, not only does it remind me of sunshine, it does not sound right under any other conditions.

The song 'Source Tags and Codes' is probably one of my all-time favourites, but I've chosen something else below as it seemed to fit better.  The former can be found on YouTube though so do check it out.

                         ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead : How Near How Far

No comments:

Post a Comment