Sunday 21 February 2016

Entry #3: Cynthia Dall - Untitled



I first came across this album in a record shop in Coventry while I was at university.  The thing that intrigued me the most was the enigmatic cover; it gave absolutely nothing away about the content of the album, let alone the band or artist.  In spite of my curiosity however, I left it on the shelf.

It was not until I saw the same album in another record shop back home several months later that I decided to get it, but rather than taking a complete leap of faith, I asked the guy behind the counter to play it for me.  Within the first 30 seconds, I already knew I wanted to hear more so I bought it there and then.

This was a case of love at first listen.  In fact, I don't think I can even count how many times I've played this album.  Dall weaves spidery guitars, minimal piano and ethereal soundscapes together with her ghostly voice to create one of the most beautifully haunting and atmospheric albums I have ever heard.  Something about it really strikes a chord.  For me, it's best played when it's gloomy and overcast, and has been the soundtrack to many such a day whilst stuck indoors with nothing to do but get lost in a good book.  And I absolutely love it for that.


                                                             Cynthia Dall : Bright Night

No comments:

Post a Comment