Monday 27 March 2017

Entry #95: Elliot Smith - Elliot Smith


With some albums, you just know straight away that they will stay with you.

For me, it began the moment I heard the spidery, double-tracked guitar that opened both 'Needle in the Hay' and the album itself.  Those goosebump-inducing guitars were then complemented by Smith's thin, delicate near whisper, setting the tone for what was to follow.

This debut is for me, Smith's finest album: simple, unaffected and direct.  Many years ago, I had a dream where I found the phrase "Goblins don't become reality, they become albums" written on a desk.  I interpreted this phrase to mean that the demons that possess us are not supernatural or corporeal; instead, they are channelled through the art we create, particularly music.  It made me think about the music I listened to very differently.  In this case, Smith's "goblins" are the very glue holding together this modest work, a work that is as personal and intimate as Smith's vocals, and thanks to these goblins, this album has left an unshakeable impression.

                                                          Elliot Smith : Elliot Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment