Monday 13 March 2017

Entry #91: Flaming Lips - Embryonic


As per an earlier entry, Flaming Lips are a band I have known and loved for many, many years.

Starting from the mid-90s, I have seen their music evolve, grow, mutate and develop in many interesting ways.  Whilst I tend to prefer the noisy guitar pop they were known for back when first got into them, I have also enjoyed their post 'Clouds Taste Metallic' output for what it is, appreciating how these albums expanded the band's sonic palette, taking it to heights that could have never been anticipated from their 80s, psych/garage days.  I therefore grudgingly admit that had they stuck to the 90s formula I fondly remember, what they do would've gotten old by now.

This is partly what makes 'Embryonic' so special for me.  In many respects, it is -to adopt the cliche- a "return to form", having more in common with those earlier records, but still retaining the DNA of "newer" outings (in an altogether more stripped down sort of way).  The songs on 'Embryonic' less like actual songs and more like free-flowing jams that just happen to gel, but this spontaneity is precisely why this record works for me and why I consider it to be one of their best.

                                      Flaming Lips : The Sparrow Looks Up at the Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment