Saturday 4 March 2017

Entry #88: Fennesz - Endless Summer


I often find myself drawn to music that could be described as ethereal, unearthly and haunting.  It's a characteristic that has made its way into a lot of my own work (so I'm told), and is something that just seems to resonate with who I am.  And it is also why I love this album since it features all three of these elements to varying degrees.

Of particular interest to me is the way Fennesz combines heavily treated guitars with his microscopically engineered electronics, completely reconfiguring the very notion of what that instrument can be.  It's a trick he's used to great effect on most of his output, but 'Endless Summer' is the pinnacle for me.

Above all, this is one of those albums where mere words don't adequately convey its abstract, otherworldly beauty.  I can talk about how it sounds all day, but it really has to be heard to be believed.  I hate to make lazy and trite comparisons, but I think it would be fair to say that 'Endless Summer' is, in many respects, the electronic equivalent of My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless' owing to its focus on layers, textures and hazy, dreamlike soundscapes.  Also, like 'Loveless', the cover art is a perfect visual representation of the music itself.

The track I've chosen below is one of my personal favourites; a beautifully haunting and mesmerising piece that really does sound like something you might hear in a dream, and is one of the reasons why I love this record so much.


                                                         Fennesz : A Year in a Minute


No comments:

Post a Comment