Wednesday 22 March 2017

Entry #94: Sun Ra - Sleeping Beauty


As mentioned in my Alice Coltrane entry, Jazz is not a genre I'm all that up on.  A lot of it completely loses me, but the stuff I like, I do like a lot.

You don't need to be a genius to know where this is going.

'Sleeping Beauty' then, was my introduction to Sun Ra, and is the record that has stayed with me the most.

As per its opening track, this album really is the sound of incoming spring, especially in the way it builds, swells and seems to flower into life; the music really portraying the fecundity of the season it references, making this perfect to listen to right about the time this entry was written.

Each of Sleeping Beauty's 3 tracks (averaging around 10 minutes each) feel like an amazing journey, making this album an immensely enjoyable listen to for me.

Oh, and after listening to the track below, listen to Mercury Rev's 'See You on the Other Side', then you'll hear what clearly inspired them!


No comments:

Post a Comment