Saturday 11 February 2017

Entry #83: Oval - Systemisch


I first became aware of Oval (Markus Popp) sometime around the turn of the millennium.  However, it was not until I played the fantastic Rez in 2001 and unlocked the bonus 'Trance Mission' stage, that I actually heard any of his music.  As I played, abstract soundscapes spilled out of my speakers to accompany the bleeding colours and wireframe visuals.  I didn't really know what to make of it all at first if I'm being honest.  As part of an unlockable bonus stage in a video game, it worked, but I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to listen to.  A bit later on, I had a chance to listen to some Oval properly, starting with '94 Diskont', which I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would, but it was this album that really made me a fan.

If you don't already know, Popp's creations are the result of him scratching CDs and then playing back and sampling the results, which are then arranged and reinterpreted into his compositions.  For me, the way he tempers and tames the chaos of dissonance and bends it to his will is very similar to what Sonic Youth do; the only real difference being the toolset:  Sonic Youth manipulate guitars whilst Popp manipulates the digital glitches of damaged optical media.

So yes, 'Systemisch' was an immediately compelling listen: ostensibly, the coldly digital clicks and glitches generated from skipped CDs are the very definition of inorganic, but the humanity is apparent in the arrangements, and therein lies both the fascination and beauty.

In short, I love this record because of the unique manner in which Popp crafts digital noise and the way it subverts what music can be, electronic or otherwise.  And for precisely that reason, it has left a lasting impression on me.

                                                                      Oval : Mediaton

No comments:

Post a Comment