Sunday 12 June 2016

Entry #50: New Order - Movement


New Order, then.

Of course, everyone knows the story of how the band came to be, formed as it was from the ashes of Joy Division, and everyone knows at least one of their songs (probably 'Blue Monday').  It goes without saying that New Order has been incredibly prolific and influential, but the album that's stayed with me is this one, their very first post-Curtis recording.

Listening to 'Movement', you'd be forgiven for thinking it was Joy Division; at this point, they'd not yet forged their own identity, and Ian's ghost haunted the songs, clearly shaping the sound and feel of the album.  It works for me because refines the band's Joy Division works whilst also offering a small glimpse of what lay ahead, its dark, gloomy vibe best suited to grey, overcast days.

The album clicked particularly as it reminded me of some of the material I was writing for the band I was in at the time (and that's before I'd even heard it).  And so, I would find myself drawing upon it for inspiration.

I would later pick up a few other New Order albums, but this is the one I came back to the most.  Again, it's nothing like the music they would go on to create, but for me, it is their most consistent (aside from Technique) and definitely an all-time favourite.

                                                               New Order : The Him

No comments:

Post a Comment