Sunday 29 May 2016

Entry #47: Plaid - Not For Threes


I was initially unsure as to whether to include this.  Of course, I like the album, but I debated as to whether it truly qualified as an all-time favourite.  Then I thought back...

I thought back to when I saw it on a listening pod in Virgin Megastore in 1997, read the blurb and realised these guys were signed to Warp, the same label that sired many of Aphex Twin's releases; and that label familiarity gave me something to go on.

I thought back to how, having liked what I heard on the pod, I decided it was worth paying £14.99 to own it (I shudder as I recall how expensive CDs were in those days....).   I thought back to how often I played the disc, how it was one the first earnestly electronic albums I bought, and how it would (unconsciously at first) reshape my tastes and inform the trajectory my own music would take when the day came for me to start making it.

I thought back to how the progressive unpredictability of the tracks kept me second guessing throughout, how I was constantly wrong-footed and pleasantly surprised.  I recalled the goosebumps I got from Extork's dark, near-industrial grit and how it juxstaposed with Nicolette's smooth, yet somewhat acidic chirrups (see below), and how I knew straight away, that I needed to hear more music like this.  I recall the chilled vibes of 'Rakimou' and the way Fer's breezy, off-kilter Aphex-like melody shifted like day and night into something more menacing. 

Above all, I thought back to how this was the beginning of my first foray into experimental eletronica (to this day, I REFUSE to use the term IDM), and how it reconnected me to my electronic roots, showing me a world far beyond the generic 4/4 dance-pop that was so ubiquitous back then.

So yes, this album definitely shaped me in a big way, and leaving it off would've been a regrettable oversight. Thankfully, I saw sense.

                                                                      Plaid : Extork

No comments:

Post a Comment