Friday 20 May 2016

Entry #45: Kafka - Fantome Intro Das Waltz


This one was another mystery find from an indie record store.  Whilst browsing through the CDs, the black digipak with nothing on its front but a picture of a high chair and the word "Kafka" caught my eye.  I became intrigued as to what the music on this disc could possibly sound like.  The song titles, with names like 'Are You Listening?', 'Silence Lives in Ashtrays', 'Vanished Art' and 'Asylum Song' didn't really offer any real clues and neither did the inner sleeve.  The album was in the reduced section, and going at only £4, so it seemed rude not to buy it.

When I took it home to play, I was greeted with a suite of moody songs with restrained (mostly acoustic) guitar and minimal bass punctuated by a slow heartbeat of deep kicks and palpitating snares all rounded with morbidly elliptical lyrics from the mouth of a vocalist not singing his mother tongue.  I was drawn in by the atmosphere the album invoked; it sounded to me like the soundtrack to a gothic spaghetti western.  I even felt compelled to cover one of their songs (Vanished Art).

No amount of Googling turned up anything on this band, the mystery only serving to add to the charm.  However, a few months later, I found the band's page on MySpace (this was circa 2007) and reached out to them.  I got a response from the singer and guitarist who was surprised their album had found its way outside of their native Portugal.  Either way, he was very pleased to hear from me and glad I liked the CD.

In these twilight years of the record shop (and indeed physical media), opportunities like the ones that introduced me to this and so many other albums are becoming increasingly scarce.  As convenient as downloads may be, there is something magical about taking a chance on an unknown album in a record shop and finding something really special.  One day, I know I will miss being able to do this.

                                                                    Kafka : In Motion

No comments:

Post a Comment