Wednesday 2 March 2016

Entry #21: Arcade Fire - Funeral

 
I had absolutely no doubt this would feature here at some point.

Arcade Fire was another band that grew on me.  The first Arcade Fire track I ever heard (namely 'Neighbourhood #3') didn't click with me straight away.  I found Win Butler's voice in it to be annoying and I immediately dismissed the band as a silly fad.  Some months later, I revisited 'Funeral' and found myself enjoying what I heard, including the very same song I wasn't feeling the first time around.  So, I bought the album.

And yes, this is actually a good example of a first album being the best, IMO.  The releases that followed have seen their sound develop and evolve, and I've enjoyed everything they've put out (including the eponymous EP that preceded this), but this to me will always be their best work.

Sometime in 2005 not long after I'd bought this album, I was off sick from work for about a week (as I recall, I'd caught a nasty bug from a friend's kid).  Naturally, I spent most of the week in bed, and played 'Funeral' album pretty much every day.  That album helped keep me entertained that week and made the drudgery of sickness all the more bearable.

Interestingly, at some point that week,  I casually glanced through the liner notes of the CD and found the lyrics to the song 'Haiti'.  For some reason I still don't quite understand, when I first read the lyrics to the song, they gave me shivers and it  felt as though someone had walked on my grave.  It's the first time I'd ever felt that way about a song.  That said, its lyrics are quite eerie, so perhaps that's all it is, but it has stuck with me ever since.

                                                       Aracde Fire : Neighbourhood #1

No comments:

Post a Comment