Tuesday 1 March 2016

Entry #20: Ladytron - Light and Magic



I discovered Ladytron around 1999-ish through their first album '604'.  It was decent enough, but it left me feeling a little underwhelmed as it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped.  Fortunately, 'Light and Magic' (which followed about 3 years later) surpassed those expectations and became an immediate favourite.  IMO, its suite of songs are stronger, more memorable and just plain better.

I played the album a lot when I first got it, and hearing it just reminds me of everything that was going on in my life at the time.  A guy I was in a band with then (who had a good idea of my musical proclivities) described Ladytron as "a band after my own heart", and you know what? He was absolutely right.

To this day, Light and Magic is still one of my all-time favourite albums, and was one of the soundtracks to a some very personal battles that raged as cognitive dissonance came closing in, long before I understood what that would mean.  'Light and Magic' will always remind me of the best and worst of those times, and musically speaking, it was one of the albums that helped keep me sane.


                                                               Ladytron : Cracked LCD

No comments:

Post a Comment