Friday 13 January 2017

Entry #77: Bjork - Homogenic


Now, this is an interesting entry for many reasons.  I wasn't even going to include this here, owing to the fact that my favourite Bjork album is actually 'Vespertine', the follow up to this.  However, as much as I like that album, I don't consider it an all-time favourite because it hasn't stayed with me the way this one has.  I know, that probably doesn't make a lot of sense to you reading this so I will try to explain.

'Homogenic' was actually the first Bjork album I ever bought.  I was introduced through an old school friend who played it to me one night at his house.  Prior to that, I was aware of Bjork, but somewhat indifferent.  When her first two albums hit, I was engrossed in the world metal, and therefore not really interested in anything that wasn't metal, so Bjork and the hype that surrounded her completely passed me by.  In the years that followed, I moved on to different things, but in those explorations, didn't even consider Bjork's music until said friend brought it to my attention.  And it was then that I realised how foolish I was in overlooking her before.

Homogenic to me was a work of genius: the blending of orchestral and electronic sounds, whilst not such a big deal today, wasn't very common back in the late 90s, yet Bjork made it sound so effortless and natural.  Even in those rockier days, I was never one of those types to dismiss electronic music as "soulless" or not being "real music".  I understood there was more to it than simply pushing a button on a computer that magically created music all by itself, a lazy argument often made by people who know nothing about electronic music production.  I mention this because 'Homogenic' was, at the time one of the most vital albums I'd ever heard, introducing me to Bjork's enduring trick of making electronics sound organic and alive.

Hearing this album had a huge effect on me, and from there, I went back to her previous works and religiously devoured everything that followed 'Homogenic'.  To this day, Bjork remains one of my heroes - I absolutely LOVE what she does.  Whilst I understand she isn't for everyone and can appreciate those who may be put off by her idiosyncrasies, I would not have her any other way.

So yes, overall I do consider 'Vespertine' to be my favourite, but in many respects, it was a continuation of 'Homogenic', the first album to introduce me to Bjork and the first to completely blow me away, and for that reason alone, I consider it an all-time favourite of mine.

                                                                        Bjork : Joga

No comments:

Post a Comment